Thursday, December 7, 2006


Pop has a friend that bought a new 5th wheel and needed to get rid of his 1978 American Clipper m/h- so I got this oldie for a song a couple of week ago. It needs work - I've already painted most of the ceiling and replaced the ( groovy) burnt orange carpet, still needs cabinetry refinished, etc. Mechanically, I 've only had to change the fluids, replace the ignition wiring and points/rotor/ distributor ( when was the last time you had to set the gap on a set of points!) and repair a leak in the air bag leveling system. It has a MONSTER 440 ci mopar- yeah, that's the same engine they put in those outrageous 70's Chrysler's - it has 70k miles and now it purrs like a kitten ( and roars when the thermoquad secondaries kick in- that's man-speak for big-honkin', gas suckin' barrels folks ). The exterior coach is constructed of 5 monolithic fiberglass 'slabs' ( I believe the Clippers were the first m/h's to do this) and is very sound, albeit oxidized- buffing this bad boy will not be easy, Macchio. Anyway- it's a great project and all that crap that I have complained about in the garage is really helping me out now- I have a new gas/electric fridge to install and new burners for the oven, too. The genny has proven to be beyond repair by me- but the coach will run everything on gas or battery except the (new!) roof top a/c, so I haven't made it a priority. If nothing else, it has been keeping me busy and can serve as refuge...

No comments: